Saturday, September 13, 2008

The End of the World - Day 2

The end is nigh.

I went over to the local gas station yesterday night and it was jammed pack full of cars. I didn't think anything of it at first, I just thought it was a busy but normal day. Oh man, was I wrong.

Apparently, the hurricane headed for Texas caused them to temporarily shut down their oil refineries. And news of this sent consumers into a paroxysm of panic and fuel hoarding. So everybody and their mother was at the gas station yesterday, pumping every last drop of black gold into their hummers. It wasn't long after that the station ran out of gas entirely. The lingering sense of fear and chaos was incredible, it was like something out of Asimov's Nightfall.

So today: no gas at all. Not a drop anywhere that I know of nearby.

I was fortunate to be clairvoyant enough to still have 2/3 of a tank left on my surprisingly fuel-efficient car, so I think I'll outlast whatever stupidity-inducing crisis is currently plaguing my fellow Americans. But if this keeps up, it might get pretty nasty out there. I really don't want to wake up tomorrow and see something like this:



Update: Gas was mostly restored a day or two later, but there were sporadic shortages and a price increase of 40-50 cents practically overnight. :/

No comments: