Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Are you a Hardcore Atheist?

Friendly Atheist has an amusing quiz:
  1. Participated in the Blasphemy Challenge. No, but I was rather enthusiastic about the idea and applauded fellow atheists taking a stand. The anonymous leaks/protests, too.
  2. Met at least one of the “Four Horsemen” (Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris) in person. Nope
  3. Created an atheist blog. Ding ding ding. We have a winner!
  4. Used the Flying Spaghetti Monster in a religious debate with someone. Oh yes. The entertainment value alone makes the FSM one of my favorite deities, second only to the Old Ones.
  5. Gotten offended when someone called you an agnostic. Yes!
  6. Been unable to watch Growing Pains reruns because of Kirk Cameron. No, but I wouldn't watch it anyway.
  7. Own more Bibles than most Christians you know. No, I still use the one from confirmation.
  8. Have at least one Bible with your personal annotations regarding contradictions, disturbing parts, etc. No, I take great care not to damage any books in my possession. I NEVER write in my books.
  9. Have come out as an atheist to your family. Sadly, no.
  10. Attended a campus or off-campus atheist gathering. Yes. Meetup ftw.
  11. Are a member of an organized atheist/Humanist/etc. organization. No.
  12. Had a Humanist wedding ceremony. No.
  13. Donated money to an atheist organization. No.
  14. Have a bookshelf dedicated solely to Richard Dawkins. Yes, sort of. I have a decent-sized pile of atheist books, I just lack the furniture to house it.
  15. Lost the friendship of someone you know because of your non-theism. Never! I may be a frothing atheist by night, but my relationships with people are much bigger than mere theism/atheism.
  16. Tried to argue or have a discussion with someone who stopped you on the street to proselytize. No. I'm quite shy irl and simply politely refuse such offers. My pleasant demeanor is deceiving; I secretly consider such intrusions very pushy and insulting and would very much like to counter-evangelize in favor of the Old Ones. Alas, I'm chickenhearted. My sole moment of triumph was when a lone, elderly JW came to my work and mindlessly thrust a bunch of Watchtower tracks in my face (which apparently, I was supposed to pass out for him) and walked off. The ball of violently balled-up tracts made for an excellent 3-pointer in the trashcan.
  17. Hid your atheist beliefs on a first date because you didn’t want to scare him/her away. No. I don't hide my atheism to people who inquire.
  18. Own a stockpile of atheist paraphernalia (bumper stickers, buttons, shirts, etc). No.
  19. Attended a protest that involved religion. No.
  20. Attended an atheist conference. No.
  21. Subscribe to Pat Condell’s YouTube channel. Bookmarked.
  22. Started an atheist group in your area or school. No.
  23. Successfully “de-converted” someone to atheism. Not that I know of.
  24. Have already made plans to donate your body to science after you die. Nope, burial at sea. Seriously.
  25. Told someone you’re an atheist only because you wanted to see the person’s reaction. No, and that's a little messed up.
  26. Had to think twice before screaming “Oh God!” during sex. Or you said something else in its place. No.
  27. Lost a job because of your atheism. No.
  28. Formed a bond with someone specifically because of your mutual atheism (meeting this person at a local gathering or conference doesn’t count). Yes.
  29. Have crossed “In God We Trust” off of — or put a pro-church-state-separation stamp on — dollar bills. No.
  30. Refused to recite the Pledge of Allegiance. No, but now I garble the "Under God" part.
  31. Said “Gesundheit!” (or nothing at all) after someone sneezed because you didn’t want to say “Bless you!” Yes. I either say gesundheit or nothing at all.
  32. Have ever chosen not to clasp your hands together out of fear someone might think you’re praying. No.
  33. Have turned on Christian TV because you need something entertaining to watch. Oh God no! Shoot me if I ever get that bored.
  34. Are a 2nd or 3rd (or more) generation atheist. No. First generation, afaik.
  35. Have “atheism” listed on your Facebook or dating profile — and not a euphemistic variant. No. So far, I have resisted the urge for Facebook and similar sites.
  36. Attended an atheist’s funeral (i.e. a non-religious service). No.
  37. Subscribe to an freethought magazine (e.g. Free Inquiry, Skeptic) No.
  38. Have been interviewed by a reporter because of your atheism. No.
  39. Written a letter-to-the-editor about an issue related to your non-belief in God. No.
  40. Gave a friend or acquaintance a New Atheist book as a gift. No.
  41. Wear pro-atheist clothing in public. No, I don't broadcast my atheism.
  42. Have invited Mormons/Jehovah’s Witnesses into your house specifically because you wanted to argue with them. No.
  43. Have been physically threatened (or beaten up) because you didn’t believe in God. No. Jeez, that's screwed up.
  44. Receive Google Alerts on “atheism” (or variants). Oh hell yes.
  45. Received fewer Christmas presents than expected because people assumed you didn’t celebrate it. No.
  46. Visited The Creation Museum or saw Ben Stein’s Expelled just so you could keep tabs on the “enemy.” No, I heard all I need to from other atheist blogs coverage of it. Plagiarism, Godwin's Law.
  47. Refuse to tell anyone what your “sign” is… because it doesn’t matter at all. Yes, anytime someone brings up astrology with me, I emphatically inform them that it's hogwash.
  48. Are on a mailing list for a Christian organization just so you can see what they’re up to… No, but that's not a bad idea. I check out the fundie sites every once and awhile for the comedy value.
  49. Have kept your eyes open while you watched others around you pray. Frequently. Even as a theist. I never understood the whole closing-your-eyes thing. What's that supposed to accomplish? Or better yet, what's the point of prayer in general? Is there some sort of system - the high magnitude the wish prayer, the more people are needed and the more frequent the prayers have to be?
  50. Avoid even Unitarian churches because they’re too close to religion for you. Yes, I'm highly irreligious and so I avoid churches altogether (except to vote, and then I caustically remark at their rare utility)
Results: 12 out of 50. Atheist white-belt, but it is my hope to accomplish #2, #9, #11, #16, and #20.

I'm far behind the pack: Evolved and Rat/i/onal (38/50), The Atheist Blogger (33/50), Homosecular Gaytheist (30/50), Stupid Evil Bastard (26/50) and Magnificent Frog (22/50)

No comments: