Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year

Well, it's a whole new year, just like last year.

It's funny, I'm a cashier and despite the "War on Christmas" bugaboo, few people made a fuss over whether I said "Merry Christmas" or not. But on New Years Eve, people practically demanded that I tell them "Happy New Year" a half-dozen times before finally leaving. What's the big deal?

To me, New Year's Day has got to be one of the most utterly arbitrary and senseless holidays out of the year. Our arbitrary calender year is over - whooo hoo! Party time! Let's get drunk! Makes no logical sense. And it always seems to fall in the midst of a nigh-endless block of cold and miserable weather, which only makes for more of a letdown when we all start off the new year feeling sick and cold (and possibly hung over)

And it's so saturated with fake optimism: things will be different this year! No, they won't.

And let's not forget the empty promises: I'm going to be a better person! I'm going to lose 20 pounds! I'm going to manage my money better!

No, you're not. You'll be right back to your old habits by February, if you even make it that far.

So happy arbitrary celebration day! Have a wonderful [standard unit of a time]!

1 comment: