Thursday, November 13, 2008

Simpsons Did It

When I woke up, checked out the news feeds, and posted about the American Humanist ad, I really thought I was one of the first to break the news. But as soon as I posted and looked at the other atheist sites, it turned out that PZ and Friendly Atheist had already covered it, and I'm sure that within a short time, everyone and their brother was posting about it. D'oh!

I'm trying to find ways to make this blog stand out amongst other atheist blogs, being original/creative/unique. But covering the same news stories that everyone else is covering doesn't really help. I've been surfing the atheist blog aggregates (in a semi-obsessive compulsive way), and I've noticed that we all tend to bunch up around a few stories with nearly identical commentary: Dole's atheist smear, the election, prop 8, Keith Olbermann reacts to prop 8, prop 8 some more, prop 8 protests, Fox News disses Atheists, prop 8 revisited, etc.

I had a pretty funny conversation with my roommate about this; I basically told him that I can't do it if the Simpsons did it. He replied that the Simpsons have done everything and I should just feel free to post about whatever I feel like without feeling like I'm beating a dead horse.

So that's what I'm going to do. If I get the news from another blog, I'll do the polite thing and link them. But if I get it from just cruising the news, I'll just link that. In the meantime, I'll try to shake up my posts and cover more of a variety of things to keep it fresh and interesting.

No comments: